OrangeLeafLogo

OrangeLeafLogo

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Marked Orange


The word TATTOO is said to have two major derivations - from the polynesian word 'ta' which means striking something and the tahitian word 'tatau' which means 'to mark something'.
In case you don't know, Tattoos are created by inserting colored materials beneath the skins surface. The first tattoos probably were created by accident. Someone had a small wound, and rubbed it with a hand that was dirty with soot and ashes from the fire. Once the wound had healed, they saw that a mark stayed permanently.  In North America, the first permanent tattoo shop in New York City was settled up in 1846 and began a tradition by tattooing military servicemen from both sides of the civil war. Samuel O'Reilly invented the electric tattooing machine in 1891.  

A LOT has changed since then.  You can find a Tattoo Parlor/Shop in just about ANY town in the US.  Not only that, but most have a specialty.  From portraits of children or loved ones to chinese dragons, tattoos are as diverse as this nation is!
So, we thought we would search ORANGE TATTOOS.  Who knew so many people loved ORANGE, and so much as to put it on their body for the rest of their life!  From the sliced orange to one that says HOMEGROWN, they are all unique in their own way.
Celtic Knots
This writer is especially interested in Tattoo's rich history, because as of today, I am a NEW owner of my first tattoo!  No, I didn't get an Orange (although I did think about it heavily!), I opted for a symbol of commitment, love, and forever.  Today, 23 years ago, I married my forever and I chose a celtic knot on my ring finger, and bonus, my hubby Tom got a matching one. Maybe for the next one we will get MARKED ORANGE!     Shannon Poole Hagan
Tom & Shannon Hagan celebrate 23 years! 7/22/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the FREAUX-YEAUX CONVEAUX!